- Numerous studies have shown that medical cannabis has the potential to help with a variety of medical conditions and their associated symptoms.
- Louisiana has not legalized recreational marijuana use.
- Act 261 was passed in 2015 which allows physicians to prescribe (recommend) Medical Marijuana to qualified patients.
- The Legislature named the agriculture centers at Louisiana State University and Southern University as the only legal growers of marijuana plants, from which medicines will be extracted.
- LSU has entered into a Medical Marijuana contract with Wellcanna to grow marijuana for medical purposes in Louisiana.
- Medical Marijuana has been available since late summer of 2018.
See Louisiana Department of Health website for the most current information.