About Medical Marijuana
Have you got questions about medical marijuana in Louisiana? Find the answers here...
Does the State of Louisiana have a Medical Marijuana program?
- Act 261 was passed in 2015 which allows physicians to recommend Medical Marijuana.
- Louisiana has not legalized recreational marijuana.
Who qualifies for Medical Marijuana?
Qualifying Medical Condition
Any physician licensed by the State of Louisiana may recommend medical marijuana in its approved forms for use to treat any condition to which the physician feels it might provide relief.
Where are the Dispensaries?
As of October 6th, 2020, the following Medical Marijuana Dispensaries are approved and filling physician recommendations for medical marijuana:
- Region 1 ~ Metropolitan - H & W Drug Store, Inc., located at 1667 Tchoupitoulas Street, Suite B in New Orleans, La. 70130-1852.
- Region 2 ~ Capitol - Capitol Wellness Solutions, LLC, located at 7491 Picardy Avenue in Baton Rouge, La. 70809-3536.
- Region 3 ~ Teche - Green Leaf Dispensary, located at 6048 W. Park Avenue in Houma, La. 70364-1808.
- Region 4 ~ Acadian - The Apothecary Shoppe, located at 620 Guilbeau Road, Suite A in Lafayette, La. 70506-8709.
- Region 5 ~ Southwest - Medicis, LLC, located at 1727 Imperial Blvd., Building 4 in Lake Charles, La. 70605-5362.
- Region 6 ~ Central - The Medicine Cabinet Pharmacy, located at 403 Bolton Avenue in Alexandria, La. 71301-7026.
- Region 7 ~ Northwest - Hope Pharmacy, located at 1410 Kings Highway, Suite A in Shreveport, La. 71103-4227.
- Region 8 ~ Northeast - Delta Medmar, LLC d/b/a Delta Medmar, located at 111 McMillan Road in West Monroe, La. 71291-5319.
- Region 9 ~ Southeast - Willow Pharmacy, LLC, located at 1519 Highway 22 West, Suite 5 in Madisonville, La. 70447-9489.
No more than 10 dispensaries for medical marijuana can operate at once. As of June 13th, there are nine dispensaries that have been approved. For current information, please visit the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy.
What options for treatment with Medical Marijuana are available?
Route of Administration
Routes of administration are determined by the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy.
The active compounds in medical marijuana are THC and CBD. The medicinal products available to patients have varying degrees of THC and CBD.
Despite both THC and CBD being the active compounds in medical marijuana, they both have very different uses.
Your physician's evaluation will determine the appropriate strength.
Time to effect
The time to peak effect is how long it takes the patient to feel the effects of medical marijuana. Some preparations have a shorter time to effect.
Your doctor also needs to consider the duration of the medication. This basically means how long the effects of medical marijuana should last.
Next Steps ...
Make an appointment with one of our specialists to find out more about Medical Marijuana in Louisiana.